What kinds of benefits am I entitled to?

The Law Offices of G. John Jansen provides the following answers to frequently asked questions about Workers’ Compensation.

The workers’ compensation system was constructed to grant security and peace of mind to workers that they would be compensated justly in the event they were hurt on the job.

The benefits available to injured workers in California include:

Medical Care

This should be paid by your employer to help you recuperate from work-related injury or illness. Medical care includes doctor visits and other treatment services, diagnostic examination, medication, medical equipment, and travel costs reasonably necessary to your injury.

Temporary Disability Benefits

This is the payment if you lose wages because your injury prevents you from doing your usual job duties while recovering. The minimum temporary disability weekly rate is $160, but it can increase depending on your situation.

Permanent Disability Benefits

This is the payment if you don’t completely recover and your injury causes a permanent loss of physical or mental function that a physician can measure. The current weekly rate of payment is $1,059.38.

Supplemental Job Displacement Benefit

This is a voucher to help pay for retraining or skill enhancement if you are eligible to receive permanent disability benefits, your employer does not offer you work, and you do not return to work for your employer. This benefit is available for workers injured in 2004 or later.

Death Benefits

This is payment to your spouse, children, or other beneficiaries if you die from a job injury or illness. Burial expenses up to $10,000 are also covered.

What happens if my employer does not have workers’ compensation coverage?

If your employer does not provide insurance coverage, you should report your employer to the nearest Division of Labor Standards Enforcement office.


More questions